It is that time of year again! Everyone is giddy because finals are over and graduation is here. The world is yours for the taking, which can be either a frightening thought or an empowering one.
Use this time wisely. If you already have a job lined up- kudos to you! That is not an easy feat in today’s job market. If you are still looking, don’t be discouraged. There are still plenty of opportunities if you stay persistent. Either way, we have compiled a list of 5 digital skills every college graduate should have.
1. Be proficient in email. No matter what service you have used or will use, email is going to be a part of your everyday work life. Get a handle on the type of email provider your employer uses- Microsoft Office, Gmail, etc.
2. Be prepared. If you don’t already know it, learn Excel, Powerpoint and Word because your boss will expect that you know how to use them. The last thing you want is to be given an assignment due in an hour and you have no idea what you are doing.
3. Be web savvy. It is highly likely that you are a little more adept at using the internet than your boss (not always, but usually). Prove it! Show your skills through strategized Google searching, using Wordpress or sharing your knowledge of what is out there in the “world wide web.”
4. Be socially driven. You’ve grown up with social media as a part of your life so it should come second-hand to you. Step up and help your employer or clients with their social media. It can be used to grow followers and reach more people or to advertise and build brand awareness.
5. Be different. Use this time to learn something new online to make yourself stand out. Do you know how to code? Are you an expert at SEO? Whatever interests you, research it and show how you are different.
Good luck to all who are graduating! This is an exciting time in your life. Who knows, maybe we will be seeing one of you soon.
FletcherPR is a national communications firm that specializes in reaching women through the power of media. Headquartered in Knoxville, TN, we are a full-service agency providing strategic public relations, social media and marketing communications services to our clients throughout the U.S.